Labels

Friday 6 September 2013

Genre Research

Worship Genre

Worship music history:
Christian worship music, also know as contemporary worship, has developed considerably over the past 60 years following a similar style to most pop music. It is rapidly growing as a type of worship music in many charismatic churches especially in the West. Churches , even more traditional ones, began to take on many of these worship songs which were often simple in that they only had three or four chords.
Over the years, worship songs changed to fit a more contemporary style as well as the theology of the pursuit to encounter the Holy Spirit and along with these changing songs came a long line of worship music from church worship bands such as Hillsong, Vineyard and Delirious? which was known as the Cutting Edge Band that originated from the Arun Community Church in Littlehampton. Delirious? followed a more youth like Christian rock/pop style, whereas Hillsong kept more along the lines of simple worship songs, but then in recent years has become more pop-like as their music is aimed more and young audiences, hence the creation of a youth band called Hillsong United.

What involvement I have with it:
Since I have grown up in a church background, my most popular music has always been worship music, because it has inspired me through what I believe. I have been inspired to write worship songs of my own, especially now that I am playing bass guitar in a Christian youth band myself known as the Destiny Band. Hillsong and Delirious? have also influenced me in my style of writing.
The picture on the left is of me playing the bass guitar in Destiny Youth Group.

Why I chose it
I chose to use this particular genre, because of my involvement with it and it's familiarity to me and the band that I am with.
I hope to arrange time to film the music video with the Destiny Band and one of the songs from Hillsong United to emphasize the meaning of the song and advertise Destiny Band and the youth group.


No comments:

Post a Comment